Sunday, October 08, 2006

A New Home

We've moved on to our second set of hosts now in the coastal town of Aberystwyth. I will be staying with Richard Morgan, a professor of cultural geography at the university here. Richard and I had a great dinner next door with Ruben and his hosts Robin and Beryl Varley. Robin is from the Manchester area originally and remembered going to school with classmates named Sidebottom when younger. He also verified what my grandfather had long told my family, that the name Sidebottom comes from property markings.
I have only seen parts of Aberystwyth on the way to my new home on the hill, but it reminds me very much of my hometown Charlottesville, Virginia. The student population is about 8,000 with the town around it nealry 12,000. (Can you tell I'm stayinng with a geographer?) So smaller than C'ville but nonetheless a town dominated by the local school. I'm sure we'll have a great time particularly when we hit the town. I can't post the spectaular photos taken today at Aberglasney right now, so look for them in the coming days.

-Richard

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard, your host sounds like he is right up your alley? You should have a great week. Looking forward to your photos.

Bernie

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get to go to the university at all, I would love to hear more about it! I know it won't be my area of student affairs, but I am still greatly interested. Looking forward to the photos!

Shannon

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home